Pet Parasite Prevention
Learn more about our pet parasite prevention services below.
Pet Parasite Prention
You may not always be able to tell if your pet has parasites. Fleas can hide under your pet’s fur, and some ticks are very tiny (only the size of a pinhead), so they are very difficult to find. Veterinary examinations and parasite testing are important ways to protect your pet’s health. Let our knowledgeable veterinary staff provide you with a comprehensive parasite control program.
Why is parasite prevention important?
Fleas and ticks are prevalent in the Atoka area. Not only are these parasites a source of irritation to your pet, but they can also harbor disease and adversely affect your pet’s health. In addition, heartworm is a dangerous parasite that lives in the heart of dogs and cats, damages the heart muscle, and can be fatal. Thankfully, all of these illnesses can be prevented, and English Veterinary Care can help you keep your pet safe.
- Fleas are small, jumping insects that live off of the blood of animals. They can carry dangerous diseases and will often cause allergic dermatitis ”severe itching” in pets.
- Ticks are external parasites that live off of the bodily fluids of animals. They can carry diseases from one animal to another and are the main cause of the spread of diseases such as Lyme disease and ehrlichiosis/anaplasmosis.
- Heartworm is a parasite that can live in the heart of dogs and cats. Mosquitoes carry the worm from one infected animal to another. Several hundred worms can live in the heart of a dog and infection from the parasite causes significant damage and can be fatal.
How we protect your pet:
English Veterinary Care follows the recommendations of the National Heartworm Symposium.
- For our geographic region, we recommend all puppies begin monthly heartworm medicine by 16 weeks of age.
- Heartworm medications need to be given year-round.
- As an added protection, heartworm testing (a simple blood test) is advised annually, even with year-round prevention, at the time of routine vaccinations.
- It only takes one warm day to bring about fleas and ticks, thus English Veterinary Care advises giving year-round preventive care.
If you have any questions at all, we’re here to go through the entire process with you. Protecting your pet has never been simpler.
Below are all of the veterinary services we offer at English Veterinary Care. If you have any questions regarding our services, please feel free to call us.
Let’s work together to keep your pet happy and healthy!
It is our mission at English Veterinary Care to partner with our clients to nurture and preserve the human-animal bond by providing compassionate, expert, and affordable veterinary care from your pet’s first adventure throughout a long and healthy life.